SOMERVILLE – The City of Somerville will host the final event in the 2013 SomerStreets series with a celebration along Somerville Avenue on Sunday, October 20, from noon to 4 p.m. “Monster Mashed-Up @ SomerStreets” will feature a costume parade for residents of all ages, 100-pound pumpkins carved by chainsaw artists, Oktoberfest, MilkRowCemetery tour, live entertainment, craft fair and more along Somerville Ave. from Union Square to Wilson Square.
SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Along Somerville Ave., activities include but are not limited to:
- Costume Parade (steps off from Bow Street at 12:30 p.m.)
- Costume contests:
- Children’s Costume Contest at Conway Park, 2 p.m.
- Dog Costume Contest at RiverDog, noon – 2 p.m.
- Adult Costume Contest at Bow Street Stage (next to RiverDog) 3 p.m.
- Oktoberfest, 1 – 6 p.m.
- Machu Picchu
- Sally O’Brien’s
- Bull McCabe’s
- Oktoberfest Olympics at 4 p.m at Bow Street (try it from noon to 4 p.m.).
- New to the festivities this year are the Oktoberest Olympics. Come and compete in your favorite backyard games: Cornhole, KanJam and Poleish Horseshoes. Prizes will be awarded at 5:30 p.m.
- 100-pound pumpkins carved by Artisan’s Asylum with chainsaws
- Rock climbing wall
- Ghosts of MilkRowCemetery Tour
- Hay Rides along Somerville Ave.
- Live music on two stages
- Autumn Craft Fair
- Family-friendly activities at Conway Park
Sponsors for Monster Mashed-Up include: Union Square Main Streets, Bull McCabe’s, Machu Picchu, Sally O’Brien’s, Riverdog Daycare & Pet Supplies, Artisan’s Asylum, Brooklyn Boulders and Assembly Row
To accommodate the event and to assure public safety for attendees and for motorists, the following traffic pattern will be in place on Sunday, October 20:
- No Parking on either side of Somerville Avenue (Washington Street to Lowell Street) from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Street closed to all vehicles from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All streets leading onto Somerville Avenue will temporarily be converted to two-way traffic to allow residents to get to and from their homes.
- Vehicles going to St. Anthony’s Church or Market Basket should enter on Dane Street via Washington Street.
- Bus routes 83 and 87 will be rerouted from 10 a.m.to 6 p.m.
All SomerStreets events run from noon to 4 p.m., rain or shine. If you have any questions, please contact Carlene Campbell-Hegarty at 857-523-9017.