On Sunday, January 26th, Somerville firefighters fought their second multiple alarm blaze within a week. At 9:57 a.m.
a fire was reported at 68 Wheatland Street and arriving firefighters found heavy fire conditions on the third floor of a three story dwelling. A Second Alarm was sounded several minutes later. The fire fully engulfed a third floor side porch spreading into the ceiling of the third floor. Firefighters had to pull down several ceilings to extinguish fire spreading under the roof. Fire damage was confined to the third floor but water damage resulted on the floors below. The building contained three apartments housing ten occupants all of whom have been displaced. Damage is estimated at approximately $100,000. Three firefighters suffered minor injuries, two from slipping on ice resulted in a knee and a back injury and a third firefighter suffered an injury to his hip. All Somerville fire companies responded to the fire as well as assistance from Medford and Cambridge. The cause of the fire has been determined to have been improper disposal of a cigarette on the porch.