MEDFORD – Today at approximately 12:30 a.m. a National Grid employee, who was working at a worksite on Salem Street, was electrocuted and later died. The incident was reported by a Medford Police officer who was assigned to work the detail at the site.
The preliminary information suggests that the decedent, a 35-year-old man was working alone in an electrical box located at the end of the parking lot when the incident occurred. Medford fire and EMS performed life saving measures on scene before the man was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. Three Medford officers were also transported to Massachusetts General Hospital due to smoke inhalation. All officers have been released from the hospital.
This is an open investigation being conducted by the Massachusetts State Police and Medford Police. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is also investigating this incident. As this death is not considered suspicious no additional information will be released by this office.