If April showers really do bring May flowers, then we are in for a treat after this past week! There are many great indoor and outdoor events coming up. Hope you’ll join us. Have a great weekend.
News & Notes
Winter Hill Students Learning About, Exploring College Readiness
Students from the Winter Hill Community Innovation School are learning about college this month. Staff members wear gear from their alma maters and encourage students to ask questions. Eighth Graders are discussing real world experiences with students currently in college. Visitors from Boston College’s football team and from UMass Lowell’s baseball team kept students enthralled during a recent visit. Staff members are making sure that students have a tangible experience that reminds and encourages them to make post-secondary education a part of their future and the way they approach their school work.
Capuano Kindergarten students Learning Music through Movement
Ms. Ward has been working with Kindergarten students at the Capuano Early Childhood Center to present folk songs from their family traditions. Each Kindergarten student learned a folk song to bring to class.
Check out Ms. Ward’s library of some of these songs at http://bit.ly/PRkMAs.
Somerville High School Highlanders Basketball Highlight Videos
‘Video Yearbooks’ highlighting the SHS Highlander Boys’ and Lady Highlanders’ 2013-14 Basketball seasons.
Highlander Boys’ Basketball Video: https://vimeo.com/93538765
Lady Highlanders Basketball Video: http://vimeo.com/91929974
Learn…Connect…Friend us on Facebook
Want to see classroom project work? Want to learn more about Somerville Public Schools? Want to find out about fun family events in our community? Check out our dynamic Facebook page full of up-to-date information about Somerville Public Schools at http://www.Facebook.com/SomervillePublic Schools.
ESCS, Groundwork Somerville Welcome Spring with School Garden Activities
Students and teachers at the East Somerville Community School are taking advantage of their beautiful new school garden learning environment, partnering with Groundwork Somerville on a number of School Garden Planting Days, and participating in other teacher-led School Garden activities. The first Planting Day of the season was held April 30th. Additional ESCS School Garden Planting Days, supporting Somerville Public Schools’ Farm to School project, are scheduled for May 21st and May 28th. Sadie Richards from Groundwork Somerville will also be available in the garden every Thursday from 1:00-2:30pm.
SPS Food & Nutrition Services Discontinues Use of Styrofoam
The Somerville Public Schools Food and Nutrition Services Department discontinued the use of Styrofoam products effective May 1, 2014, in accordance with the City of Somerville’s Ordinance No. 2013-03. The City of Somerville and the Somerville Public Schools continue to be leaders in promoting healthy lifestyles through a range of programs and initiatives that help create a positive culture of health and wellness in our community.
May 4th: Healey School 3rd Biennial Young Artists in Action Arts Gala (YAA!)
The 3rd Biennial Healey School young Artists in Action Arts Gala (YAA!), takes place this Sunday, May 4th from 2:00-5:00 p.m. as part of Open Studios weekend. Take part in this fun-filled event at the Healey School, 5 Meacham St., Somerville. Admission is FREE. Interactive family-inspired arts party with music performances, art activities, shadow puppets, refreshments, and large silent auction. All proceeds go towards funding Healey School enrichment and off-site learning activities. Information: email@example.com.
May 6th: ESCS Museum Night 2014
Art is taking over East Somerville Community School! Galleries of artwork from ESCS students in grades K-8 will be on display during Parent-Teacher Conference night on Tuesday, May 6th, from 6:30-8:00 p.m., immediately following the PTA meeting. ESCS students will lead guests on guided museum tours. Healthy snacks will be available. Visit the ESCS art room photo site for a sneak peek at the amazing work: http://www.instagram.com/huffmanartroom.
May 8th: SFLC Workshop – An Introduction to the Common Core Curriculum
Parents/Guardians will have the opportunity to learn about the Common Core State Standards at this informational workshop to be held at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross Street), Thursday, May 8th, from 6:00 to 7:30pm. Register with the Somerville Family Learning Collaborative (SFLC) in advance for dinner at 5:30pm, and/or for childcare by calling (617) 625-6600, x6966 or at http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families.
May 9th: SCALE Walkathon
Now that spring has finally arrived, it’s time to dust off your sneakers and start your training! On May 9th, SCALE students, staff and friends will be raising awareness for Adult Literacy, and raising funds for SCALE’s student emergency and scholarship fund. You’re invited to join the Friday morning fun! The Walkathon begins on SCALE’s doorstep (167 Holland Street just outside of Davis Square) at 8:00 a.m. Last year’s event raised more than $4,000 to support SCALE students in their next steps after completing their secondary credentials. Students use scholarships to further their education, complete vocational license courses, and explore new occupations through skills training. Contact Maureen McGovern or Doreen Curreri at SCALE (617-629-5500) for information or to find out how you can support this event.
Somerville Adult Evening Classes – Continue the Learning Adventure
Learn a new skill, or polish up on a particular interest. HURRY. Time’s running out!
· ZUMBA Tuesday, May 6, 6:30-7:30pm: $25 for 5 classes
· Driver’s Ed Tuesday & Thursday, May 6 – June 5
· Extreme Couponing Tuesday, May 13, 6:30-8:30pm: $25 or $20 for PTA Members
· Decluttering Tuesday, May 13, 7-8:30pm: $20
· Financial Planning Tuesday, May 20, 6:30-8:30pm: $15
All classes held at Somerville High School (83 Highland Avenue). Register in the SHS Main Office any Tuesday or Thursday evening between 6-8pm. Pay by check or money order made payable to Somerville Adult Evening School.
Writers’ Den for Middle School Students
Any and all students in grades 5 through 8 (or of corresponding ages) who love to write and are active writers, are invited to Writer’s Den from 12:30-3:30pm at the central Somerville Public Library (1st floor Auditorium) on Wednesday, May 7th and Wednesday, May 21st. Writer’s Den meets informally to share our work, learn some tips and discuss publishing possibilities. Please bring a short completed piece of writing. There will be writing and discussion of writing. Bring your poetry, fiction, nonfiction, school newspaper reporting — whatever your interest.
May is World Poetry Month
May is World Poetry Month and Kid! magazine will mark the occasion with the grand opening of their 2014 Poetry Wall, online at http://www.12zine.com. The wall is not yet completed but may be previewed. Kid! and Snowflake! multimedia magazines proclaimed March as Write Poetry Month in anticipation of National Poetry Month in April, during which they collected poetry and began building their second annual online Poetry Wall. They will continue to accept poetry for the wall from students in grades K-8, who are invited to submit one or more of their best original poems. Poems should include the poet’s name and, for contact purposes only, his/her grade, school and teacher’s or parent’s name. Please send all poetry to firstname.lastname@example.org. The wall was begun during April, but submissions are welcome any time. Poems on the wall are eligible for possible selection for a future print edition of Snowflake! or Kid! magazine.
This Week in the schools:
Visit your child’s school website, http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/schools, and click on the “calendar of events” link at the top of the page for a complete list of all the activities happening at school this month.
Friday, May 2nd, at 7:00pm: Kennedy School Drama Club Production of School House Rock Live! Jr., at the Kennedy School (5 Cherry Street)
Saturday, May 3rd, at 7:00pm: Kennedy School Drama Club Production of School House Rock Live! Jr., at the Kennedy School (5 Cherry Street)
Sunday, May 4th, from 2:00-5:00pm: Healey School 3rd Biennial Young Artists in Action Arts Gala (YAA!), at the Healey School (5 Meacham Street)
Monday, May 5th, 6:00-8:30pm: West Somerville Neighborhood School PTA Conferences (177 Powderhouse)
Tuesday, May 6th, 2:45-4:15pm: Brown School Council Meeting, at the Brown School (201 Willow Avenue)
Tuesday, May 6th, 6:00-8:30pm: East Somerville Community School PTA Conferences (50 Cross Street)
Tuesday, May 6th, 6:30-8:00pm: Museum Night 2014, at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross St.)
Tuesday, May 6th, at 6:30pm: 2nd Annual World Language Awards Night, at the Kennedy School
Wednesday, May 7th: HALF DAY of SCHOOL (PreK dismissal at 11:30am, K-8 dismissal at 12:00pm)
Wednesday, May 7th, at 6:30pm: SHS Vocational Senior Awards Banquet, at the Somerville High School Field House (81 Highland Avenue)
Thursday, May 8th, 5:30-7:00pm: SFLC Workshop—An Introduction to the Common Core Curriculum, at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross Street)
Thursday, May 8th, 5:30-8:00pm: Healey PTA Conferences, at the Healey School (5 Meacham Street)
Thursday, May 8th, at 6:30pm: SHS Spring String Fling, at the SHS Field House (81 Highland Avenue)
Friday, May 9th, 8:00-9:00am: SCALE Walkathon, at SCALE (167 Holland, Somerville)
Monday, May 12th, 6:00-7:30pm: Healey Community Meeting, at the Healey School Library (5 Meacham St.)
Upcoming School Committee Meetings
You can find the complete School Committee schedule, agendas and meeting minutes (as approved) online at http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school_committee.
Monday, May 5th, 6:00-7:00pm: Rules Management Subcommittee Meeting, in the 3rd Floor Conference Room of Somerville City Hall (93 Highland Avenue)
Monday, May 5th, at 7:00pm: School Committee Regular Meeting, in the Aldermen’s Chamber of Somerville City Hall (93 Highland Avenue)
Thursday, May 8th, at 7:00pm: School Committee Meeting for Finance and Facilities, in the Central Office Conference Room (42 Cross Street)
· Thursday, May 1st through Sunday, May 4th: Arts First Festival. Harvard University’s annual Arts First Festival is held at the Harvard Yard & Environs, Cambridge. More than 225 music, theater, dance, film, and visual arts events – most free of charge. For more information, call 617-495-8699.
· Sunday, May 4th: Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger. Register and Pledge to make a difference in your community at Project Bread’s annual Walk for Hunger. Every May, more than 40,000 people walk a 20-mile course through Greater Boston, raising awareness of the reality of hunger in Massachusetts. To find out how you can get involved and make a difference in your community, visit http://www.projectbread.org/walk.
· Thursday, May 15th through Sunday, May 18th, 12:00-4:00pm daily: Friends of Somerville Public Library Spring Book Sale. The Friends of the Somerville Public Library will hold an extended Spring Book Sale this year from May 15th – 18th at the Central Library located at 79 Highland Avenue. Leftover books will be donated to local non-profit groups, otherwise charities farther afield. Please contact the Friends to be considered. See http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfTheSomervillePublicLibrary for more info.
· Friday, May 16th: Tufts Youth Philharmonic 2014-2015 Auditions. The Tufts Dept. of Music and Community Music at Tufts announce the Tufts Youth Philharmonic 2014-2015 Auditions, taking place Friday, May 16, 4:00 p.m. in the Perry and Marty Granoff Music Center. The orchestra is open to teenage musicians in the greater Boston area, and is led by noted conductor John Page. For more information about Tufts Youth Philharmonic, audition, and an application form, visit http://as.tufts.edu/music/musiccenter/program/youthphilharmonic.htm or contact Edith Auner at Edith.Auner@tufts.edu or (617) 627-3564.
Check our online Calendar of events (www.somerville.k12.ma.us/events) for more information.
· Monday, May 12th: Healey Community Meeting
· Tuesday, May 13th: Winter Hill Community Innovation School PTA Conferences
· Tuesday, May 13th: ESCS School Improvement Council Meeting
· Tuesday, May 13th: Educational Programs and Instruction Subcommittee Meeting
· Wednesday, May 14th: Brown School PTA Meeting and Conferences
· Wednesday, May 14th: SHS School Improvement Council Meeting
· Wednesday, May 14th: Chamber Music Concert
· Thursday, May 15th: SHS Math/Science Awards Night
· Thursday, May 15th: All City Middle School Spring Concert
· Friday, May 16th: Somerville High School Senior Prom
Have something to share with the community?
Visit http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/submit_event to share your event with the more than
5,000 people who get this mailing nearly every week. Please share!
To SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE, email Connections@k12.somerville.ma.us
with “SUBSCRIBE” or “UNSUBSCRIBE” in the Subject line.
Susana Hernandez Morgan
Coordinator of Grant Writing & Information
Somerville Public Schools
42 Cross Street
Somerville, MA 02145
Internal office extension: 6013