International Overdose Awareness Day is August 31 and September is National Recovery Month. Here are some ways you can join the City in raising awareness of the disease of addiction and offering support and hope for recovery:
• Attend the Memorial Gathering and Overdose Awareness Ceremony at City Hall on Thursday, August 30, at 5:30 p.m.
• Turn Somerville purple from August 30 to September 5 by using purple lights at your home or business, tying a purple ribbon on your door or fence, making a purple heart to display, or another creative way to display purple.
• Use the hashtags #EndOverdose or #OverdoseAware on social media.
• Attend the Massachusetts State of Awareness vigil on Friday, August 31, at 6 p.m., on the Boston Common.
• Attend the Somerville Overcoming Addiction Annual Vigil on Wednesday, September 12, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Trum Field.