Its time to Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet! Join us in our efforts to reduce access to substance drug abuse. Visit our website for more resources on Substance misuse. National Take Back Day will be October 22, 2016 from 10am-2pm. Stop by, get informed! Two Drop Off Locations Available! Somerville Fire 6 Newbury St and the Public Safety Building 220 Washington St.
What is Substance Misuse?
Substance misuse includes the use of drugs that can change your mood, such as tranquilizers, alcohol, or illegal drugs. “Risky Drinking” or unsafe use of medications are also substance misuse. This abuse can cause many health problems and problems with family and friends.
Medication misue can also occur when using prescription or over-the-counter drug that is different from how it was prescribed. Taking too much or too little, even mixing medications are ways medication is misused.
Take the Self-Assesment of Drinking Patterns below to see if you should worry about your drinking.
Self-Assessment of Drinking Patterns
Take this short quiz to see if you should be worried about your drinking. Score one point for every “YES” answer, zero for every “NO” response.
Add up your score in the end.
1. When talking with others, do you ever underestimate how much you drink (telling others you drink less than you do)?
2. After a few drinks, have you sometimes not eaten or been able to skip a meal because you didn’t feel hungry?
3. Does having a few drinks help decrease your shakiness or tremors?
4. Does alcohol sometimes make it hard for you to remember parts of the day or night?
5. Do you usually take a drink to relax or calm your nerves?
6. Do you drink to take your mid off your problems?
7. Have you ever increased your drinking after experiencing a loss in your life (someone you love dies)?
8. Has a doctor or nurse ever said they were worried or concerned about your drinking?
9. Have you ever made rules to manage your drinking?
10. When you feel lonely, does having a drink help?