The fire was reported at 12:20 a.m. and went to Two Alarms. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered a large volume of fire involving a second floor, rear porch with flames spreading up to the roof. Fire had spread into the rear wall requiring firefighters to pull open numerous walls and ceilings. The fire appears to have originated on the second floor porch after an occupant discarded a cigarette into a dried out, potted plant. The 2 ½ story dwelling contained three apartments and all eight occupants residing there have been displaced. Damage is estimated to be in the area of $250,000. All occupants had evacuated the building prior to the arrival of firefighters. No occupants were injured, however, five firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The Somerville Fire Department would like to urge all residents who smoke to properly dispose of any smoking material used on decks or porches. A metal container containing sand is best. Potted plants or plastic containers should never be used.
Photos courtesy of Somerville FD