SOMERVILLE – Looking for a way to jump-start your spring and summer training? We’ve got the perfect opportunity! The 6th annual Somerville Mayor’s Fitness Challenge kicks off on Sat., March 28 with a family-friendly event featuring fun physical activities, healthy food tasting, health and wellness information, and free Fitness Goody Bags for participants. The four-week challenge runs through April 25 and offers both a Team Fitness Challenge as well as a non-competitive “Lifestyle Pledge,” with rewards for participants ranging from better health to discounts at local businesses.
Highlights this year include an invitation from Mayor Joe Curtatone for community members to join him for two free fitness events:
• Skate with Joe! Join the Mayor at the Veterans Memorial Ice Rink on Thurs., April 2 at 7:30 p.m. for an hour of free and fun skating.
• Jump with Joe! Join the Mayor at Sky Zone in Everett (69 Norman St.) from 7 to 8 p.m. for some unique fitness at this indoor trampoline park owned by a Somerville resident. (All ages and fitness levels are accommodated.)
Individuals who join the team challenge will earn points for weight loss and changes in Body Mass Index (BMI), while those who take the Lifestyle Pledge will earn Wellcoin points by participating in events and programs and logging healthy eating choices throughout the challenge. Wellcoin is free and offers incentives through local businesses and restaurants in its Reward Center (for more information and to sign up, visit http://www.wellcoin.com).
Throughout the program, teams and individuals will earn discounts to local restaurants and businesses. All participants will receive extra points for attending validated events and programs, including fitness activities, City-sponsored events, and much more!
Various fitness programs will be held throughout, and special events will be held as follows:
• Fitness Challenge Kickoff: Sat., March 28, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., SHS Field House, 81 Highland Ave.
• Skate with Mayor Joe: Thurs., April 2, 7:30 p.m., Veterans Memorial Ice Rink, 570 Somerville Ave.
• Historic Walking Tour: Sat., April 11, 10:30 a.m., Walking Tour with historian Robert Doherty, meet at 7 hills Park
• Jump with Joe!: Wed., April 15, 7 p.m. – 8 p.m., Sky Zone jump, 69 Norman St. Everett
• Shape Up Somerville/Recreation Road Race: Sun., Apr. 19, 10:30 a.m., Somerville High School Concourse, 81 Highland Ave. (Pre-registration required. See http://www.somervillerec.com)
• YMCA Healthy Kids Day: Sat., April 25, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., YMCA, 101 Highland Ave.
• Awards Ceremony: Sat., April 25, 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. Mystic River Boathouse
Get the scoop on how the Challenge works and updates on events and opportunities throughout the challenge at our new Mayor’s Fitness Challenge website, which will be live by kickoff day: http://www.somervillema.gov/fitnesschallenge.