Somerville, MA — Members of the Somerville School Committee will hold neighborhood meetings throughout the
City from December 5th through December 8th, seeking post-interview community input on the three finalists vying for the Superintendent of Schools position. The School Committee anticipates making a final decision on Somerville’s next Superintendent of Schools on Monday, December 8, 2014. Community members are invited to meet and learn about the finalists – Dr. Kriner Cash, Ms. Mary Skipper, and Dr. Frederick McDowell – during their day-long visits to Somerville on December 2nd, 3rd and 4th, respectively. Opportunities to meet the finalists include:
• 3:00-4:30pm Somerville High School – Open forum for all staff, parents, guardians, and community members. This is an opportunity to ask questions of the candidate directly.
• 6:30-7:30pm City Hall, 2nd Floor – Open meet-and-greet session. This is an informal opportunity to talk with the candidates one-on-one.
• 7:30-9:30pm City Hall Aldermen’s Chambers – Formal interview with the Somerville School Committee, open to the public. Public interviews will be televised on Somerville’s local cable television stations (Channels 15/16). Community members can email Paul Bockelman (Pbockelman@k12.somerville.ma.us), chair of the Superintendent Search Committee, with candidate questions for consideration. Interviews will also be posted on the Somerville Public Schools website (www.somerville.k12.ma.us) the following day.
Community members are encouraged to register their opinions on the three candidates following the formal interviews with the School Committee, and can do so in one of three ways:
1) Online at http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school_committee. Superintendent Candidate Input Forms can be accessed off the left side menu. A separate form should be completed for each candidate.
2) Send an email to members of the School Committee to share your opinion about any of the candidates. School Committee email links are available at http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school_committee.
3) Attend any of the following School Committee neighborhood meetings:
• Friday, December 5th:
o 8:30-10:00 a.m. at The Armory Café with Laura Pitone
o 2:15-4:15 p.m. at the Kennedy School with Laura Pitone
• Saturday, December 6th:
o 9:30-11:00 a.m. at Bloc 11 with Adam Sweeting
o 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at The Biscuit with Dan Futrell
o 2:00-3:00 p.m. at 165 Broadway with Steve Roix
• Sunday, December 7th:
o 9:30-11:00 a.m. at the Diesel Café with Paul Bockelman
o 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Angelina’s Pizza with Carrie Normand
o 3:30-4:45 p.m. at 122 Heath Street with Christine Rafal
• Monday, December 8th:
o 7:00-8:15 a.m. at the Highlander Café with Paul Bockelman and Carrie Normand
Current Superintendent Tony Pierantozzi announced his retirement effective July 2015. He will have completed 10 years of distinguished service with the Somerville Public Schools upon his retirement. Earlier this year, the School Committee engaged the services of Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates (HYA) consulting firm to assist in the search for Somerville’s next Superintendent of Schools.