SOMERVILLE, MA – Following months of suspended enforcement during the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Somerville will resume residential parking enforcement December 1, 2020.
City data indicates most residents have already renewed their expired permits in 2020 (thank you!). Those who still need to renew an expired permit or obtain a new permit are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
All City buildings, including the Parking Department, remain closed for the foreseeable future, but residents can renew or apply for new permits online, by mail, or by dropping off completed applications in a secure dropbox at 133 Holland Street.
1. Pay any outstanding parking tickets in full. Tickets may be paid online at
somervillema.gov/parking or by calling 844-807-9069.
2. Be sure your vehicle is registered at a Somerville garaging address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Visit mass.gov/RMV to make any changes to your registration.
HOW TO APPLY
There are several ways to apply for or renew your resident parking permit: online, by mail, or by dropping off a completed application in the secure dropbox at the Parking Department office.
● Apply Online
Visit somervillema.gov/parking and follow the instructions carefully. This will be the fastest, easiest way for most people to get a permit. Online applications will be approved or denied within two business days of submission, and approved permits will be issued and mailed within two business days of payment.
● Apply by Mail or Dropbox
Gather the materials listed below in one envelope. Leave it in the dropbox at the Parking Department (133 Holland Street) or mail it to the City of Somerville Parking Department, 133 Holland Street, Somerville, MA, 02144. Your application will be approved or denied within two business days of receipt. If approved, your permit or passes will be issued and mailed immediately. If denied, someone from the Parking Department will contact you.
Applications must include the following:
○ Completed applicant information. Print the form on somervillema.gov/parking or write out the following information on a sheet of paper:
3. Home address
4. Phone number
5. Email address (optional)
6. Vehicle license plate number
7. Vehicle make
8. Vehicle model
○ Copy of proof of residency. Acceptable items include a current utility bill or bank statement in your name. Note: Leases only qualify as proof of residency for temporary permits.
○ Copy of current valid registration in your name and/or proof from an insurance company that you are an authorized driver.
○ Check or money order in the amount of $40 per vehicle, made out to “City of Somerville.” Note: There is no charge for residents age 65 and older, or for residents with a handicap placard or plate. Please provide a copy of proof of age or handicap placard.
For more information, visit somervillema.gov/parking or call 311.