Highland Ave. between School St. & Lowell St.
STRIKE UP THE BANDS AT SOMERSTREETS ON HIGHLAND AVE., SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
Free Open Streets event to feature live music, family-friendly activities, food, and more.
Celebrate the season at “Strike Up the Bands,” the September installment of the City’s SomerStreets festival, on Sunday, Sept 18, from 2 to 6 p.m. between School St. and Lowell St. on Highland Ave. SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Viva Gina, Ukulele Club, American Echos, Lady Pills & Grace Givertz
• Wrestling matches by the Boston League of Women Wrestlers
• Aerial performance by Esh Circus Arts
• Cheesecake eating competition with 7ate9 Bakery
• Parkour with Parkour Generations
• Learn to walk on stilts with Open Air Circus
• Bouncy house, face painting and henna painting
• Large-format chalk drawing with Somerville Open Studios
• Craft activities on the MUSCRAT bus with the Beautiful Stuff Project;
• Explore a fire truck and ambulance;
• Hockey, football, and other kids’ activities with the Somerville Recreation Department;
• Craft vendors, community vendors, and local businesses;
• Local restaurants and food vendors!
To ensure public safety at the event, the following road closures and parking bans will be in effect.
• Highland Ave. (School St. to Lowell St.): Closed to all vehicular traffic 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.; no parking 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
• Belmont St. (Summer St. to Highland Ave.), Spring Hill Terr., and Sycamore St. (Highland Ave. to Madison St.) will become two way streets from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. to allow access for abutters.
• MBTA buses will be rerouted from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. For locations of rerouted bus stops, visit MBTA.com.
Dates and call for talent and vendors for SomerStreets 2016 are NOW available! Please see below!
SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally-renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
SomerStreets builds on the Shape Up Somerville healthy living initiative. Similar open streets events take place all around the world, providing space normally taken up by automobile traffic for people to be more active.
SomerStreets is an annual series that takes place one Sunday per month June through October.
The 2016 events schedule is as follows:
Sunday, June 5: SomerStreets Carnaval Broadway (McGrath Highway to Pennsylvania Avene)
Sunday, August 21: SomerStreets Seize the Summer Holland St. (Davis Square to Teele Square)
Sunday, September 18: SomerStreets Strike Up the Bands Highland Ave (School Street to Lowell Street)
Sunday, October 23: SomerStreets Monster MashedUp Somerville Ave. (Union Square to Elm Street)
All SomerStreets events will run from 2-6 p.m., rain or shine.
Call for vendors & talent for all four SomerStreets Festivals are below:
CALL FOR VENDORS
CALL FOR TALENT
Deadlines for application:
October 23 SomerStreets vendor & talent deadline: Sept 12
If you’re have questions, contact: Nina Eichner, Special Events Manager, at (617) 625-6600 ext 2998 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re intersted in volunteering for these events please contact Nina.