Photos by Frank Santangelo
By William Tauro
This past Sunday, the Somerville Arts Council presented STRIKE UP THE BANDS AT SOMERSTREETS on Highland Avenue between School and Lowell Streets with a free open streets event that featured live music, family-friendly activities, food, and more.
SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity.
Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aimed to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Activities along Highland Avenue ncluded:
• Two stages of live music by 8 all-female bands including: Shepherdess, Thrust Club, Puppy Problems,
Viva Gina, Ukulele Club, American Echos, Lady Pills & Grace Givertz
• Wrestling matches by the Boston League of Women Wrestlers
• Aerial performance by Esh Circus Arts
• Cheesecake eating competition with 7ate9 Bakery
• Parkour with Parkour Generations
• Learn to walk on stilts with Open Air Circus
• Bouncy house, face painting and henna painting
• Large-format chalk drawing with Somerville Open Studios
• Craft activities on the MUSCRAT bus with the Beautiful Stuff Project;
• Explore a fire truck and ambulance;
• Hockey, football, and other kids’ activities with the Somerville Recreation Department;
• Craft vendors, community vendors, and local businesses;
• Local restaurants and food vendors!
SomerStreets is an annual series that takes place one Sunday per month June through October.
The next 2016 SomerStreets event will be held on Sunday, October 23: SomerStreets Monster MashedUp Somerville Ave. Union Square to Elm Street from 2-6 p.m., rain or shine.