Somerville Fire Department firefighters were called to the new Assembly Row Federal Realty Development construction site for a working fire at the intersection of Foley Street at Artisan Way in Somerville.
The fire occurred on Saturday at 2pm on a hydraulic fork truck- lift, a very valuable piece of equipment that is generally used to lift building materials to upper levels of buildings during construction, was on fire and burning out of control.
Good Samaritans from next-door at the Winter Hill Yacht Club noticed the blaze and tried putting the fire out with fire extinguishers, but as the fire appeared to be extinguishing it kept on regaining energy and relighting itself.
Construction workers on the scene stated that the fire might of been contributed to a faulty wire causing the electrical system of the hydraulic fork lift to go up in flames.
Somerville firefighters appeared on scene and extinguished the blaze.
The fire is under investigation and does not appear to be of a suspicious origin.