SOMERVILLE – The 1st ever AgriCultural Festival will take place at ArtFarm (10 Poplar St.) in Somerville on Saturday, October 1st 3-7pm (raindate Oct 2nd). The festival is a celebration of everything we grow from the earth, and the people who grow it. This fantastical festival will celebrate Somerville farmers, artists and new urban agricultural initiatives. Come out and share about what you grow and learn from local growers!
The festival will include displays of local produce, bees & chickens, chances for urban agriculturists to share knowledge, hands on demonstrations, & participatory art.
For the second half of the festival, 5:30 – 7pm there will all be square dancing (for beginners and experienced square dancers led by Old-Time Square Dance with the Dead Sea Squirrels and caller Tony Parkes as well as food from local vendors!
This festival is an ArtsUnion production put on the City of Somerville Arts Council as well as many local artists and community partners.
This festival will feature:
• Donuts on string, egg carrying contest & bike pull races!
• Bike-pulled hay ride
• Apple cider press – bring your own jars & apples and use the press to make cider!
• Help create a raised bed at ArtFarm! Learn how to build a raised bed at 4pm & plant cover crops at 5pm
• Hens climbing a 5 ft replica of the Prospect Hill Monument
• Agricultural craft projects including: bee wax candles, chicken feather crafts, nature prints
• Interactive art including faerie house, interactive sound art, & a rocket ship of dreams
• Learn how to make a worm bin for composting & food waste
• See bees, chickens, locally grown veggies, and more!
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Betsy Allen, at 617-625-6600 x2323 or BAllen@somervillema.gov.